Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Polite conversationalists do not discuss...

Faculty lounges have a life all of their own. Things one should not discuss:
1. Politics
2. One's indifference towards the local football team
3. The fact that a certain female music teacher told her 5 year old daughter that there is no Santa Claus, mommy and daddy buy her presents.....Holy smokes, you would have thought I was the devil herself....

They were all discussing the moment in their lives when they realized there was no Santa Claus. I wanted to save my daughter from that traumatic moment in her life. I wanted her to believe that the things I tell her are true, always true....

Should have kept my mouth shut
Should have kept my mouth shut
Should have kept my mouth shut

After patiently listening to my lunchtime experience last night, my husband says to me, "Speaking of santa claus, where is the "night before christmas" book? I wanted to read that to our girls."

After a moment, I sheepishly replied, "It's at school, I was going to read it to my classes...."

3 comments:

Mountain Mama December 5, 2007 at 2:01 PM  

I know what you mean. I wasn't traumatized by figuring out the truth but my parents handled it well. As long as I remember they said things like, "mom and dad are Santa's helpers" and "parents help keep the legend of Santa alive." When I was little I didn't think anything about those comments but as the truth slowly dawned on me as I got older, I was OK with it and the things they had said made sense.

Just stay out of the teacher's lounge! You have to do what's best for YOUR kids. (Listen to me giving parenting advice already!) ~Laura :)

Lydee December 5, 2007 at 4:39 PM  

thanks, glad to hear from you, bet it's snowy up your way!

Yarnhog December 7, 2007 at 6:06 PM  

Oh, dear. I never believed in Santa (I'm the youngest of five kids), and my husband is Jewish. Maybe because of that, we've been very protective of Santa. Our (very, very smart) 10 year old still believes, although every year he hatches a new scheme to find out "for sure." His little brother is less skeptical and whole-heartedly embraces his belief. I always told myself, if the kids ever asked me straight out, I would tell them the truth. Last year was the first time my older son ever asked me directly. I opened my mouth to tell him the truth...and I lied. Flat out. I told him that of course Santa is real. I am a bad, bad mom. I think this is one of those situations where you just can't win.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP