Wednesday, April 30, 2008

End of the Internet

Google Reader says: Congratulations you've reached the end of the internet; so I guess it's time to make a post of my own. It's tough posting sometimes because they say not to post or email anything you wouldn't want on the front of the newspaper. And so, where does one draw the line? It can be a tough call.

I try to post something entertaining, even at my own expense. So, here goes another one. This particular student, a rather bright one, has decided music class is not for him. Now, my class is no, "Hey kids open up your books and sing with the cd player" type of class. I use lots of moving, dancing, singing and playing (instruments). But....he's not into it. He's laying down in class. I ask: am I boring you? He says, "Yeah, a little." So I explain that I'm teaching life skills and how would a future boss view at his behavior, sometimes we have to do boring things (like teach you ti-ti-ta, ti-ti-ta) yada, yada, yada. Yeah, yeah, he understood.

I though we were on good terms afterward. He even brought in his piano music and played for the class.
I said, "show the class how you know where to repeat."
He said, ""may I use the board?"
"Yes, certaintly."
"Oh, can I have a better marker, this one doesn't write well."
"Yes," I get him another marker.
So we get him all adjusted and he explains codas, how they work, the different kinds, specific kinds (although I think he made a few up). He was going strong after about 8 minutes. Then he says, "Can I use the blackboard too?"
" 'Grasshopper'" (I didn't really call him that), "I need to start teaching my lesson now."
"Okay"

Couple weeks later, he's asking his teachers to sign this blank piece of paper he's holding. They ask why. He finally told the one: He needed a signature so he could get out of the music program. Good grief! What have I done to this boy! Maybe he was mad I didn't let him use the blackboard too.

Perhaps I could take a break and let him finish my year out. You know, all you need are a couple of years of piano lessons in your young life, and you're all set to teach general music.

12 comments:

sophanne April 30, 2008 at 9:39 PM  

He sounds a little multi-personalitied. definitely a love-hate relationship with control issues. He's destined to be a principal

Anonymous April 30, 2008 at 11:36 PM  

tee hee on sophanne's comment. I had one of those kids except without the piano part. I think at one point he actually starting chewing on the rubber of his shoe during class. They way I look at it is after 5 years in the classroom I only had 2 kids like that. Pretty good stats. I'm sure yours are the same. :)

Mary Kathryn May 1, 2008 at 1:49 AM  

Yeah, I agree.... sign him up for administration. He's ready.

Lydee May 1, 2008 at 6:17 AM  

LOL! I'll have to keep you all updated on my future administrator!

Marie Louise May 1, 2008 at 7:30 PM  

Now that my eldest daughter has turned 14 and is a freshman in high school, I've stopped thinking I have any idea what is going through her head. I know if you're a teacher, and putting so much effort into the education of one of these creatures, you do tend to take it personally. My take on the whole thing...he liked showing off in class to show how smart he is but it's totally uncool to study serious music and has to transfer out for the sake of keeping his image in tact. Makes perfect sense!

Carol May 3, 2008 at 9:15 AM  

Yup, spoiled child with control issues. Trouble down the road for sure. I don't envy his first boss at his first mcjob.

Yarnhog May 3, 2008 at 2:55 PM  

Is he any good at the piano?

Maybe the whole moving-singing-dancing thing isn't turning him on. Some kids are really shy about that sort of thing and act aloof because they don't want to make fools of themselves by being "bad" at performing. (I would have chewed my own legs off rather than have to dance when I was in school. I considered myself far too gawky and unhip to ever be seen dancing. Come to think of it, I still do.)

Lydee May 4, 2008 at 8:36 AM  

you very well could be right yarnhog. He's been giving his regular classroom teachers a hard time too, so I'll not take it personally.

Heidi Ho May 4, 2008 at 10:44 AM  

Sounds like one of the kids I've had this semester. I quote the little "sweetie pie". Picture a 5th grade boy....way too smart for his own good. A definite future anarchist. Bucks the system every chance he gets...

"I mean Mrs. L....what's your purpose anyway????" "The world doesn't need music, therefore...it really doesn't need you." What purpose does it serve???? I really don't see one.".....

Then he signed up for choir...Great!! Now I get to hear how useless I am twice a week instead of just one!

Gotta love the pre-maturally synical 10 year olds of the world. Very sad.

My question is this: What happened to these poor parents to build such messages in their kid's heads? I mean, seriously, did they get beat up on the band bus or something????? hee hee

Olga May 5, 2008 at 10:05 AM  

Don't let it get to you, my whole class bailed on me because they were 'bored'. And I was homeschooling my own kids....
I LOVED the story about your moms lunchs you left on my blog! That is a woman after my own heart!

Marie Louise May 14, 2008 at 7:55 AM  

Just wanted to say hello - see what you're up to. I miss your posts with your dry sense of humor!
If you'd like to drop me a line - in all your spare time ;-)
marielaura@gmail.com

Marie Louise May 14, 2008 at 7:56 AM  

sorry...
marielaura2@gmail.com

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP