Thursday, July 17, 2008

My Kitties (With Killer Instincts) Warning: Disturbing Images To Follow

Kitten Princess Dora


We own 2 cats. Our first was a sweet rescued kitty christened Princess Dora. She was only a tiny kitty when someone found her on the road wet, muddy and sick. We took her in and brought her back to health. She has retained her sweet disposition to this day. She's my hubby's favorite cat. 



What a cute little bundle of fur!

Awwww! Little fuzz ball.

Princey' all grown up.

That's right Princess, roll in the dirt and get all dirty (disgusting).

Whaaat! Who? Me?!

It's just a little bit of dirt Mom!

Our other cat, Cinnamon, came from someone DH works with. The fiancee was allergic to cats, so Cinnamon had to find a good home. We offered to take her. When DH brought her home, Emmy and I were so shocked at Cinnamon's biggie meal size. My first comment was, "you're going on a diet; you feel like a tub of lard." And thus Cinnamon became know as "Tubby." 


Tubby doing what we thought she liked to do best.

At first blush Tubby/Cinnamon seemed like such a harmless cat. She's claw less, friendly, loves laps, and enjoys getting her fat rolls massaged. She'll jump into any stranger's lap. Her two obvious drawbacks are her shedding and her slobbering, a lethal combination. The more you pet her, the more she rubs her slobbery mouth all over your hand and the more she sheds. You feel like you've grown a new coat after a few minutes. Emmy described it best when she said, "Tubby used my hand for a napkin."



Tubby's always the first to lay with us when we're not feeling well. 

We should have gotten our first clue when Emmy said, "Mom, Cinnamon's eyes look angry." And so she's right. Cinnamon does look pissed off most of the time. I told Emmy, "it's just her kitty features." Our second clue was the comment Cinnamon's former owner made when she said Cinnamon likes to go outside sometimes. And so we'd let her out, along with Princess. They'd always return for breakfast. Months went by without incident. 


(She's tolerating Bibi fairly well.)

But then, these little presents began showing up on our porch: a vole, an occasional field mouse, a vole with it's head chewed off, a dead rabbit... We figured it was Princess, who'd now grown to adulthood and still has her claws. Though I had my doubts because the only things I'd ever seen Princess catch (and eat) were houseflies. "It couldn't be Tubby," we said, "Tubby works up a sweat just watching Princess play." (Tubby would never play kitty games with us, only Princess. And if she would, on rare occasions, bat at a shoe lace, I'd say, "Oh look at Tubby, she's acting like a real cat!)


Cinnamon and Princess, drawn by Emmy (5)

Then entered the fateful day this past spring. I was enjoying the afternoon on my front porch when I heard an unusual squeaking sound. I looked up and there was Tubby running toward the front porch with something large and brown in her mouth. It was a baby bunny, a live squeaking baby bunny! I began shrieking , "DH! DH! DH!

"What?!" He's all disgusted, standing in front door with door wide open.

"Look at Tubby!" Tubby drops her bundle, still very much alive by hubby's feet. 

Hubby stares dumbfounded while baby bunny takes off- inside the house.

"Aaaiiee!!! Catch it! Catch it!" DH, Emmy (5), Bibi(4) and myself stumble over each other trying to catch BB who's terrified and tearing around the house. I had visions of rabbit pellets shooting from it's bottom on my clean carpets, like something from a James Bond car. 

Finally we corner the poor little thing and released it in a wooded part of our yard. We could not believe that Tubby Cat was such a hit man. Since then we've had a steady stream of "presents" on our porch, most of them voles, and all of them dead. There has been an occasional rabbit, one particular gristly specimen missing it's head and ears, but they have not been left on my porch, thank goodness. 


Another "present". 

At least Tubby had the decency to carry it off the porch to do what she's about to do...

Cute little brown thing, isn't it...

Stupid me, I thought she was just going to sniff it.

Tantalizing to the kitty senses...

Mmm, mmm,...yessss...

Ewww, Tubby's gross with her rodents.

Crunch, Crunch, Crunch 

Snack, Snack, Snack

How sweet, Tubby's eating her supper when we are.

So I don't know about Tubby, perhaps it's pent up aggression, maybe it's some sort of therapeutic outlet...I don't know. But she has killer instincts. 

10 comments:

Mayflower July 17, 2008 at 2:39 PM  

We have a few "grinnies" in our yard. Perhaps we can borrow Tubby for awhile! :)

Anonymous July 17, 2008 at 8:32 PM  

How sweet- she's showing her loyalty to you by bringing you "food!"

Heidi Ho July 18, 2008 at 12:59 PM  

She's in touch with her ancient "inner cat", her WILD side, her nature vs. nurture battle. I guess that's a good thing! She lies in both worlds! Plus, it will save money on pest control!!!

Yarnhog July 18, 2008 at 1:40 PM  

Well, she IS a cat...

Many years ago, my puppy caught a baby bunny. It was so tiny that it was completely hidden inside her mouth, and it kept squeaking. I looked everywhere for the squeak, and finally pried open her mouth--and out dropped this soggy, bedraggled newborn bunny! It was unharmed, and I sewed a flannel pouch for it and wore it around my neck, under my shirt for a month, feeding it on kitten formula with an eyedropper.

Jennifer July 18, 2008 at 4:33 PM  

Cute kitties! Wild, but cute!

Our doggie, Clark, tries to catch a chipmunk that lives in our backyard. He hasn't even gotten close, but he runs so fast and low to the ground...it's hysterical. I'll have to get a video of him doing it.

Mary Kathryn July 19, 2008 at 12:44 AM  

What a funny photo story. Love it. Also, I didn't know it was possible for a DH to have a "favorite cat", let alone like cats in general. Very sweet.

Sharon July 21, 2008 at 6:00 PM  

Wonderful pics. Our kitty Elwood is an intrepid bird hunter, and it always freaks me out when I see him playing with his prey. But so far I haven't seen him with a rodent, vole, etc.

Debra July 21, 2008 at 9:52 PM  

CUTE cats!! I have three and they are spoiled like kids....

Gina July 21, 2008 at 10:01 PM  

Wow! I'm having a great time picturing the four of you chasing the baby bunny...what a funny picture!

sophanne July 24, 2008 at 1:12 PM  

Having a great deal of experience with baby bunny trackers -it might be easier if they just killed them- (you may recall last summer's bunny events) I can tell you that inaction is no longer possible once the bunny starts squee-ing. Running away up the stairs is also not a terribly reasonable option.

The mud bath is awesome.

there's no place like home.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP