Saturday, May 24, 2008

monkey house program (part II)

Principal's really been hilarious through this whole ordeal.

I haven't had much time to work with the kids. I had a student teacher for 8 weeks up through the beginning of this month. Then on my first week back to teaching I came down with strep throat (right after the girls and I went to the farm). It was a nasty case of strep and I was off the whole week.

My friend, our PE teacher called from school to see how I was: I haven't been this sick since I was a kid.

When she gave the update in the lunch room, principal instead of expressing concern or asking how I was, says, "But she's got that big program coming up...when's she coming back?"

He emails me later that day asking questions about the program.

Then on my first day back, during morning bus duty, he asks me, "So how's the music program coming along?" I wanted to tell him, no different that it was 9 weeks ago when I last taught. But I said, "fine, just fine."

My usual stratgy is to perform pieces that they had previously learned, so it really was just a matter of polishing the pieces, and setting the forms in stone, but he didn't know that. My ears can only take so many repetitions of their pieces before I go bonkers.

He would really lay an egg if he knew I showed them "Stomp Out Loud" after I was done rehearsing with them this week.

3 comments:

sophanne May 24, 2008 at 10:13 PM  

all will be well- what can the do? fire you?

Mary Kathryn May 26, 2008 at 12:15 AM  

1. Sorry to hear you were sick.
2. I LOVE "Monkey House" and plan to borrow that term for school when (IF?) I go back.
3. All hail the videos! Sometime you just gotta do it.

Heidi Ho May 28, 2008 at 7:21 PM  

videos? did someone say videos! I must pay homage to Cathy Bird right now, for if it weren't for her video collection, I would not have had a lesson for the last 2 weeks. I'm now in the world of video teaching. Technology integration, right?

I promise, I'll be a better teacher when they start acting better! (both students and administration alike) hahahahaha I think they are westested, concerted, field day, field trip, etcccc...out!!! How do we teach them meaningful lessons when our competition is a disney video or extra recess??? yikes!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP