Saturday, September 19, 2009

Easy Recycled Quilts

So i came across a business website where the lady will turn your baby's receiving blankets into a large quilt. Cool idea, right? ;-) However 1 throw, or twin sized blanket is going to cost you between $77-$99 (us) dollars.

I was surprised, of course, because I recently made 2 myself and a.) thought it was an original idea, b.) it was a quick and easy sew, therefore c.) was surprised at the price.

I posted a quick picture blog on how i made mine before, but I'm going to repost it and, I'm going to post a link to an even easier, much, much, easier recycled quilt made from vintage sheets (if receiving blankets just aren't your thing.)

I'm posting because I'm ready to make a queen size quilt for my own bed and i'm going to use recycled sheets and blankets from a second hand store. And I'm posting it because it's Fall (almost) darn it, when my mind turns to warm crafty things.

I would love it if you decide to make a recycled quilt too. Please let me know in the comment section, maybe even post pics on your blog and let me know!

Thanks!
--Lydee

Directions to an easy recycled quilt found on The DIY Wedding. This is good stuff, and pretty close to how i made my blankets.

My directions (quick and probably missing vital instructions, but for what it's worth...)

I also (finally) finished the second of the "easiest quilts to make, ever". I made them out of my girls old flannel baby blankets. Just piece together, find batting (buy or recycle: i used an old bed sheet), find a backing (i used another old flannel bed sheet) and connect (with yarn every 6 in, or with a fancy stitch on the sewing machine).

Pictorial History of said blanket, not necessarily in order because i'm drinking wine.
you get the idea....

Piece the top section, 6 baby blankets together: arrange in the order you like, cut if necessary to make it all even, pin and sew (and then i sewed the raw edges down to make it look neat).

Photobucket


Once the top section is sewed together, you need to layout and sandwich all of your quilt layers together to prepare for sewing all together. I used an old green sheet (bottom) for batting, and then my backing (middle blue flannel sheet), and my baby blankets (wrong side out) on top.

Trim overhanging edges as needed to reduce bulk close to the seams.

Remember, I'm sewing 3 sides (and part of a 4th side) together, inside out, and then I turn the entire bundle right side out so the ugly green sheet will go into the middle where it belongs. And then I will finish closing the 4th side with a hand stitch.

(btw, I marked where i wanted to cut with a washable marker.)

Photobucket

Now, you can either hand tie with yarn every 6 inches or so, or you can quilt with your sewing machine if it does that, or you can do what i did and just run a fancy decorative stitch every 6 inches or so to connect all the layers together.

Photobucket


Finished product.

Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Why did I chose to use an old sheet for batting instead of batting i purchased from the store?

Well, I was broke. And I liked the idea of recycling an item i wasn't using into something useful. I got the idea from Crafting a Green World, go check them out.

3 comments:

Jessi September 19, 2009 at 2:46 PM  

Hey fellow music teacher! I stumbled across your blog while comparing lesson notes from the blt music blog. I have to say...
a) I love your quilt idea. Sewing isn't my thing...I make beaded jewelry...but have some friends that would love to try your quilt idea. :-)
b) Open House is the worst...pointless evening where no one visits the music room anyway. At least you got yours out of the way early. Mine is this week.

Hope you're enjoying your classes. I wasn't ready for summer to be over or to go back to work, but the kids are kinda making it worth it. :-)

Jessi

Yarnhog September 21, 2009 at 11:36 AM  

That is a really cool idea. I particularly like it for a girl's room. (I don't think my boys would go for the flannel pastels.)

Haley September 30, 2009 at 4:50 PM  

looks like fun! can't wait to see your quilt.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP