Thursday, September 13, 2007

Constitution Day and Country Roads

So our school has to celebrate constitution day. Not a bad thing, but at a bad time of the year. I figured choir isn't doing anything constuctive this time of year anyway, so I put together a patriotic medley and said, here, sing this. Of course, living in the grand state of West Virginia, I decided to include Country Roads. It's not exactly patritoic, but I knew it was a song the kids would know. And, oh yes, did they ever know it! I finally shut up and quit singing it with them because they knew it better than me! After all, I did grow up in Pittsburgh, PA.

Lesson learned, don't try to teach the "nativer" their own songs. Just shut up and enjoy the music : )

Country Roads, take me home to the place I belong, West Virginia, Mountain Momma, take me home Country Roads....

10 comments:

Mayflower September 13, 2007 at 10:56 AM  

"Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye." Did they actually know what "moonshine" meant as well? Can not complain, my daughter loves that song. I'll just have to watch that she stays away from the moonshine! Or maybe I will just tell her that it is the "taste" of the moon when it shines on her at night! Think it will work?

Olga September 13, 2007 at 11:39 AM  

errg. Now you have given me an annoying earworm to fight off all day. Curse you John Denver!!!!

Lydee September 13, 2007 at 12:11 PM  

Oh no, we're not singing the moonshine part! LOL!

Anonymous September 13, 2007 at 4:43 PM  

Uhmm, my comment window is in another language, one I don't even recognize. Anyone else have this? Ever?
Here's my real comment-
I hear her voice in the morning hour she calls, radio reminds me of my home far away.....

I Love John

sophanne September 13, 2007 at 7:05 PM  

Earworm! That uber- she cracks me up.

That song knows no boundaries.

When I went to Ireland 7 years ago, a local guy was playing it in the first pub we entered.

5 years ago, South African sang it to me.

No doubt anthropologists searching for hidden tribes have had it sung to them.

sophanne September 13, 2007 at 7:06 PM  

oops South African children

Yarnhog September 13, 2007 at 9:59 PM  

I think I was the only kid in Southern California who thought that song was cool.

Lydee September 14, 2007 at 6:41 AM  

You all make me laugh!

Gina (in NY) started singing it everytime she saw my WV liscense plate.

Haley September 14, 2007 at 2:36 PM  

i always drive through WV on my way home to Virginia. my husband and i always here that song at some point and we always sing along really loud. and i always mess up the lyrics. i have bad hearing and i mess up all lyrics. it's a great source of amusement to my husband.

Gina September 14, 2007 at 7:37 PM  

This is pretty funny! I must confess I only know the song because it is in the 4th grade music book. I'm still in shock that you had to have chorus kids ready to sing this early in the year.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP