Saturday, September 29, 2007

So There, Life!



Warning, the happy picture is probably the nicest thing about this posting.

There's something to be said for the innocent 3rd grader who shows everyone the bandaid on her middle digit.

Wednesday is my song and dance day; 4 tough classes back to back before lunch, throw in a few violent kids, a lack of aides to travel with them, and I'm exhausted by 4:00.

(Some of the following are real scenarios, and have happened to various teachers in my school. I have not named names.)

What do we do with the big kids who just say no to teachers? What do we do with the little ones who head butt teachers and bite aides and other students? At our school, apparently nothing. So I've taken to whispering instructions to these few. If they don't do it, the other kids will not see them not listening to me. So, the child and I are not in a power contest with each other.

One of the teacher unions sent a student discipline survey around for us to fill out. It mentioned the safe schools act of 1995. I wrote in, what happened to safe schools for teachers?

Just because one child has a right to the same education as everyone else, should not mean that he takes away everyone elses right to learn by bullying, biting, and, or distracting (like crawling on the floor waving a confederate flag, poking other children when they ignore him).

I have 30 years before I retire. Unless I consider a career change before that. I love my job too much now to think about that, but what happens when the honeymoon is over...

3 comments:

sophanne September 29, 2007 at 10:10 AM  

so where are the aides? a certain assistant superintendent will be very very angry if they are taking a planning period. I've seen the secret memo.

Lydee September 29, 2007 at 12:33 PM  

We have about 5-8 very needy children and 2 aides to go with the 2 extremely violent ones. One goes with a 5th grader and the other goes with a 1st grader.

Unfortunatley, the other children need more help than what they're getting. Thus everyone's attention is divided so we have things like students riding through the hall on chairs with wheels, students poking their head through the divider that divides my room from an empty room next door. My lights being flicked on and off from the switches next door. Fire alarms getting pulled, zip drives being stolen, students crawling under tables, and so on.

It seems somewhat extreme and bizarre.

The K aides are abiding by the memo, so no problems there.

Haley October 2, 2007 at 10:43 PM  

i once had a third grader who told me he wished he had a gun so he could shoot me. i sent him to the principal's office. she sent him right back because she didn't have time to deal with it. it was great. (read dripping with sarcasm).

sorry to hear about your frustrations. lovely photo of the girls. very cute.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP