Saturday, June 28, 2008

summer lovin'



So, I have been enjoying my time off. I'm out on my front porch enjoying the breeze blowing through my hair. I know we live off the beaten path, but every time I step out on our porch (it's like a huge covered extension of our house), I feel like I'm on vacation, in a cabin, in the woods. Maybe not my ideal vacation, I prefer the beach, but it's relaxing enough.

(our house, looking up from our lower lot)

After almost 5 years in our house, I still crack up when the farmers down the road feed their cows. A whole chorus of mooing begins. It sounds like they're singing to me! (kidding). Luckily, they're close enough to hear, but too far to smell. Previously we lived where they were close enough to smell, and I said "never again".


(lower lot, still untamed)

We own a few acres; everyone around us also owns at least 2 acres. We all like our privacy. The latest house however is being built close to our house. The owners purchased 26 acres and they have to build right by our house? So they tried 3 other spots and found a coal seam-to unstable to build there. I lack sympathy, they have 26 acres to find another spot. I don't think they were trying hard enough. At least their house isn't facing ours, pheww..



(our current closest neighbors, not the new ones)

And so, with all that land, I'm still trying to tame the yard. It had been strip mined (hence the coal) eons ago. Hubby bought a new riding lawn mower this spring. I love it. I mow the entire yard (the level part) once a week. It takes a couple hours. But if it's nice out, I enjoy it. I've aerated also. Now I need to attack weeds. Hubby needs to attack the sloped area. It's overgrown with wild blackberries and black locust trees. If you have ever thought of purchasing black locust trees...well, hopefully you haven't thought of purchasing black locust trees. They have thorns. They have long brown seedpods. They are extremely prolific. And they have EXTREMELY hard wood. So what I'm saying is, they're ugly and tough to get rid of, like a weed, only bigger.



(More untamed land, weeds plus locust trees)

(Why is there a fork in my yard? That's not even from my set.)

(Tamed yard)

(Awww, a wittle baby wocust twee, isn't he sooo sweet? Wook at his wittle thorns. Ugly little invader.)

(More tamed and untamed yard. We're getting there.)

(Driveway, plus view. the lower lot is beyond all the locust trees.)

So all of my great plans for a new flower bed have gone by the wayside, at least for the time being. The lovely spot I trenched out this past spring is growing: weeds. Sigh. Yards and gardens are a living canvas, right? 


6 comments:

Carol June 28, 2008 at 5:09 PM  

26 acres and they have to build close by? How irritating. But the tamed and untamed yard is lovely. I'm jealous.

Olga June 28, 2008 at 6:18 PM  

Still, weeds and all, it looks really nice. Wish we could have a summer, it's barely breaking 70 degrees here.

Yarnhog June 28, 2008 at 11:57 PM  

Wow. As someone who measures lot size in square feet and is happy if I don't hear the neighbors flush, I so can't relate. But it is gorgeous, and I think I'd like to come for an extended visit, if that's okay with you!

Marie Louise July 1, 2008 at 9:14 AM  

Wow! What a gorgeous place! The hills of West Virginia! So wild and untamed that table utensils turn up in one's lawn. You land looks beautiful, although I don't envy you taming it. We have a large lawn and it is quite the job mowing it. We have a push mower and plan to keep it because we tell ourselves we are exercising!

Lydee July 2, 2008 at 7:47 AM  

yeah, the fork cracks me up!

Miss T July 8, 2008 at 9:28 AM  

What a beautiful place!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP