Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Another Morning Baking tip

My voice is sloooowly returning from it's sabbatical (probably from someplace warm with sun and sand). I have a sinus infection.

Thanks for all of your comments about my tip. I have another today. I'm making another loaf of bread. I grew up with my Mom kneading and baking bread all the time. When I was a teenager, she switched over to a bread machine. Somewhere along the line Mom decided to let the bread maching do all the kneading and raising, then she would shape the dough and put it in a bread pan and into the oven.

When I moved into my first place (a dumpy trailer), my aunt and uncle gifted me with my first bread machine. It served me many years. I used it so much, I finally wore out it's bearings. Mom bought me my second bread machine a couple years ago, a Zojirushi. Now the Zojirushi will bake up a fine loaf of bread, no meddling needed. But I still enjoy taking the dough out after it's done kneading and raising, and shaping it myself, putting it into the loaf pan of my choice. Wal-la! Fresh baked bread.

I created this recipe when I was sleepy once and added too much water. I caught the mistake before I started kneading, and added a few extra ingredients.

Lydee's Honey Wheat Bread:

Put in bread machine in the following order:

1 1/2 C of warm water
2 Tablespoons vegatable oil
2 Tablespoons of sugar
2 Tablespoons of Honey
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
4 Cups of Flour (I use 3 C of white and 1 C of wheat, but you can use any combination)
2 1/4 teaspoons of instant yeast, or 1 pkg of dry active

Allow bread machine to knead dough, check after 10 minutes to make sure it's mixing properly and to check flour/water proportions (if it's too sticky, all a little more flour. If it's too dry, add water by the Tablespoon)

Allow the bread to raise in the machine or in a greased and covered bowl. Raise for 1 hour, punch down, and raise for an additional 30 minutes.

Grease a bread pan to your liking (I like to spray oil in with my Misto and then sprinkle with cornmeal)

Remove dough from bowl onto floured surface. Knead a couple of times and shape the dough. I pat mine into a rectangle and roll up the dough, and or fold into thirds. Pinch the bottom and place bottom down into prepared bread pan. Allow to raise 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Heat oven to 375 degress (F). Slash top of dough 3 or 4 times with a sharp knife just before placing in the oven.

Bake for 35-45 minutes. Check bread after 20 minutes to see how brown the top is. If it's turning too brown, cover with foil for the remainder of the time in the oven.

Check to see if bread is done. I use an instant thermometer. When the temperature reads 190 degrees (F), it's done.

Remove bread from pan after 5 minutes, allow to cool before slicing. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Olga February 14, 2008 at 9:47 AM  

mmmm-that sounds good.I don't make my own bread but I do pizza dough alot or rolls for soup. I guess its not much diffrent, just the shape! Have a Happy day today!!

Mountain Mama February 14, 2008 at 5:22 PM  

mmmm! Sounds like I need a bread machine...

Jennifer February 15, 2008 at 10:40 AM  

The most I can do when it comes to bread is buy the frozen bread dough and go from there. Your family is so lucky to have such a caring mommy and wife who wants to create such a comfy home for them! I can only imagine the wonderful smell of that bread baking!

Web Analytics Beginner February 16, 2008 at 8:16 PM  

question--after cooling the bread and getting to the slicing, exactly how do you get a yummy fresh loaf to have a normal slice rather than uneven hack marks and a mountain of crumbs? Also, how do you fold a fitted sheet?!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP