Wednesday, March 26, 2008

start of gardening

Yesterday, it finally reached 50 degrees (I only go outside when it's a certain temperature, I'm a sissy, I know), so I donned my coat, hat, and gloves, bundled up the girls and went outside to start exavacting for a new flower bed. My house is on an old strip mine, so my yard looks sad. I started a raised bed last year in the back of my house. It did well. For the front, I'm opting for raised berms insteadof a boxy bed so I can make a curved edge instead of a straight edge. I have to import all of my dirt since mine is packed clay and rocks. 


I started on the trench to outline the bed. I used my mattock, the tool of choice with my ground. I'll remove a 2 foot wide strip of sod from around the inside edge of the bed and pile it upside down in the middle of the new bed. Then I'll bring in good soil to pile on top. I'll smooth it out and taper it down to the edges. Thanks to Garden Gate magazine for giving me that idea. I think I'll line my trench with pea gravel to keep the lawn out of my bed. 

I'm so excited. I've tried growing things in my ground with very little sucess. Now with raised beds I can grow a variety of plants, and they won't get lost in my clay like ground. Now I need a garden plan to figure out what to grow and where. 

6 comments:

Anonymous March 26, 2008 at 1:06 PM  

Spring is actually, finally, coming! I can't wait to get out more!

I can't wait to see pictures of the finish product.

sophanne March 26, 2008 at 7:22 PM  

I pulled out dead leaves from the daffy-dill beds here. That's an accomplishment in this neck of the woods. I think I could hear the daffy-dils saying "She likes us, she really likes us!"

Yarnhog March 28, 2008 at 1:07 PM  

My house is on a lot cut into a rocky hillside. Every house in the neighborhood has a yard mostly consisting of chunks of granite held together with clay. (The contractor who built the neighborhood was supposed to haul away the blasted granite, but instead buried it under a layer of topsoil.) I have had fantastic results with raised beds. You can bring in great soil and mix it with lots of organic matter and fertilizer. My entire garden is in raised beds, either built on the ground (the vegetable garden) or behind block retaining walls. I have trees and large subtropicals, and hundreds of perennials. I use drip irrigation everywhere except for my tiny lawns.

AntJen March 28, 2008 at 8:48 PM  

Your ground's not all bad: you grew a splendid crop of tomato worms last summer--alternative protein source right beneath your livingroom window.
AntJen

sophanne March 28, 2008 at 9:18 PM  

lydee- is that THE antjen?

Haley March 30, 2008 at 3:37 PM  

enjoy your gardening! it sounds like something you will really enjoy. hope you post some pictures when everything is growing.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP