Monday, July 27, 2009

Breadsticks



Mmmmm, my house smells like a pizza parlor. I am in heaven. I made homemade bread sticks. I ate some. And I was intoxicated for the next hour. My dear sister-in-law called with some questions. And I babbled. It wasn't until I stepped onto my porch that I realized I also smelled like a pizza parlor. Ahhh, (sniffing again), ahhhhh....



So, here's how to make homemade bread sticks if you too want to join in the aromatic fun.

Breadsticks

(Use your favorite method of making dough: breadmachine, standing mixer, food processor, or by hand. I use the knead and raise only setting on my bread machine.)

1 1/3 cup of warm water
1 Tablespoon of salt
2 Tablespoons Oil (optional, leave out if you want a "crustier" traditional style breadstick)
4 Cups of flour (bread, high gluton, or all purpose, whatever floats your boat)
1 Tablespoon of instant yeast (or 1 packet of yeast)


Non-stick cooking oil for greasing 2 baking sheets and spraying the tops of the breadsticks (I use canola oil in a Misto sprayer)
Your favorite Italian seasoning (I use Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle) [optional]
2 T Butter (melted)

  • Mix and knead your dough using your favorite method. Let it raise, covered for 1 hour.
  • Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Pat into a long flat oval shape.
  • Using a dough cutter, or pizza cutter, divide dough into 14-16 skinny pieces about 6-8 inches long or so. (Cut shortways across the oval, not longways.)
  • Place pieces on two greased cookie sheets. The pieces should not be touching.
  • Spray tops of breadsticks with non-stick cooking oil. Lightly sprinkle italian seasoning on top of sticks (being careful not to get any on baking pan, it will burn and set off your smoke alarms; i speak from experience) if desired.
  • Allow to raise for 15-30 minutes while oven heats up. Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Arrange oven racks so that one is on the bottom and one is on the top. (I have a propane oven and this works for me. With an electric oven, I would try placing the racks more in the middle first to see how much the bread sticks brown, and to prevent burnt bottoms!)
  • Bake about 15-20 minutes (rotating pans halfway through) until the breadsticks are a beautiful golden color.
  • Brush tops with melted butter.
  • Cool on a cooling rack and enjoy!


Thanks to Sneaky Momma Blog Design for showing me how to open links in a new page. Go check out her site for good blog design tips.

4 comments:

nurmisur July 28, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

The breadsticks look great and yummy.I tried to comment on your other post but something happened. Loved the picture and hope you win.Your girls are beautiful.

Lydee July 28, 2009 at 11:07 AM  

thank you!

Rebecca July 28, 2009 at 12:12 PM  

Hi! Thanks for posting about breadsticks! I was just thinking last week that I need to start trying to make them. :)

Lydee July 28, 2009 at 12:37 PM  

oh yes, and let me know how they turn out! enjoy!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP