Thursday, July 30, 2009

Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce


My crockpot/roaster, thanks grandma!


So, here we are again, in the kitchen. Seriously, I'm not trying to turn this into a cooking blog, just want to share some easy tips I learned as a working mom, or a lazy mom, whatever.

I'm having Spaghetti tonight. My homemade sauce is cooking right now. Later, I may whip up a batch of my breadsticks, mmm.

Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
This should make enough for a family of 4 or 1 lb of spaghetti pasta.

So, what you need is 1 crockpot (because I love to watch someone slave in the kitchen, all the better if it's not me).



One 28 oz can of whole tomatoes.



One 6 oz can of tomato paste.



One tablespoon (give or take) of your favorite seasoning. I happen to love Penzey's Buttermilk Ranch Dressing seasoning. BTW, I don't think I've ever used the seasoning to make dressing!



Open cans, dump into crockpot, add seasoning. Set on low heat for 6-8 hours, or high heat for 4 hours.



The whole tomatoes will break down slowly as they cook, just like old fashioned sauce.

Before serving, give it a stir and adjust seasoning to taste. You may also want to add more tomato paste if sauce is too thin for your taste.

The beauty of this recipe is that you can cater it to your taste:

If I want meat sauce I'll add a 1/2 lb to 1 lb of lean ground meat to the crockpot with the other ingredients. When sauce is ready, break meat apart with a wooden spoon or spatula.

I've also used jarred spaghetti sauce and added a can of whole tomatoes with it. You may also add garlic or onions. Just use whatever you have in your pantry.

It's so nice to come home at the end of a work day to that wonderful spaghetti sauce smell, and know that I only have to make the pasta and maybe a salad and we're ready to eat!

BTW, I am a Penzey's girl. They don't know who I am, nor do they pay me to promote them. I just mention their seasoning because I love their stuff. And going to a Penzey's store is like going to heaven, for your nose anyway. Smelling all of the different spices is one of the best things known to man (and woman :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous July 30, 2009 at 3:40 PM  

Your great aunt Marian would be proud. She introduced me to them when they were still just a storefront on 3rd st. in the old district of Milwaukee. Best wishes for both of us getting over that bad lunch buzzzz. grrr. so when can I think again?

Anonymous July 30, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

oops. duh. see I told you I couldn't think. Great-aunt? where did I get that. duh.

Lydee July 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM  

lol! I think you just bumped yourself up to another age bracket! :-)

Anonymous July 31, 2009 at 7:20 AM  

"bumped yourself up to another age bracket.." Ahem. Thanks so much! I think I'm still reeling from Jan telling me last week that I was her son's great aunt. Guess I hadn't actually realized that. Don't you tell Bibi and Emmy to call me that, ok?

nurmisur July 31, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

I usually buy my tomato sauce alreday done. Weston Produce makes one that it's almost as homemade.But your recipe sounds good also. :)

American Homemaker August 5, 2009 at 12:27 PM  

I've never made my own spaghetti sauce. Looks yummy :)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP