Saturday, July 25, 2009

Kale! Here's What to Do With It



Kale.

Previously I had never tried it and never wanted to. Adventure is not my middle name! But a few years ago, I purchased a cookbook called Saving Dinner by Leanne Ely. It rocked my culinary world! And I felt like a real cook.

Anyhow one of the recommended side dishes is kale. I finally mustarded up the courage (ha ha) to prepare some. And.... I liked it!

In my journey of sharing my recipe with you, I decided to take pictures, al la Pioneer Woman. Ahem. That woman must have 6 hands. It's hard enough to cook. But to cook and snap photos?!! And I just use a point and shoot.

So here is Leanne Ely's braised kale (with my extra additions):

Braised Kale:

Rinse, ha ha, of course.
Remove the big ribs with a knife. Here's how I do it.



Not sure if there's an easier way. My kitchen prep skills are somewhat...lacking in finesse? Especially when I am holding a camera??



When you're done, you'll have a big stack of ribs (throw in compost pile if you have one),



...and you'll have a big stack of de-ribbed kale.

Stack the leaves...



...And roll them up.

Starting at one end, slice into ribbons (the kale, not your fingers).

One of these days I'm gonna buy myself a fancy knife like Pioneer Woman...if I don't cut my fingers off taking pictures while cutting things...



Mmm, garlic.


To take the skins off I lay the flat of my blade down and give it a gentle wap with my hand.


You only need a clove or two. I guess I went a little overboard.



Press your garlic, or mash with a knife, whatever pleases you.



Now, normally I would break out the can of cannellini beans, but I'm broke. I'm scraping the bottom of my pantry so to speak.

Yep, this is how I roll. Supercharged.

And I'm out of cheese, so the powdered stuff will have to do.



Heat 1-2 T of oil in a large skillet.


You can see how carefully I'm measuring. Hey, I'm all about accuracy in the kitchen.

Add your kale and garlic.


Saute for a few minutes...

...until it's bright green.

Add a little water to the pan (enough to cover bottom, about 1/4").


Cover and simmer on low heat (something i forgot to do because i was snapping photos and my camera was sticky from garlic juice) for 5- 10 minutes until it's tender.

While kale is simmering, I check on Tommy big Wheels.

I wipe garlic juices off my shutter button.

I delete a bunch of blurry pics because it's hard to shot and stir at the same time.

I wash dishes and reflect on my delusions.

It's ready. (Yours will have less water because, I added a little too much water because, it's hard to shot pics and judge depth with one eyeball because,...but it's all good.) :- )

This is all ready to be your side dish, but if you want a meal, add a can of drained and rinsed beans toward the end of the cooking time. Heat through, and sprinkle with Romano or Asiago cheese (or a powdered cheese substitute, lol!). Add a splash or two of rice vinegar too if you like.

Or place kale on a bed of pasta (like good old Tommy here) and sprinkle with cheese. Add some sauteed summer squash, zuchinni, or fresh diced tomatoes too! Yum!

8 comments:

Heidi Ho July 25, 2009 at 8:15 PM  

So...Glad to hear you are in the Kale fan club. My hubby has eaten it all his life. His grandma cans it from the garden every year. It really is yummy and so healthy for you too.

I loved the recipe! I also had a question...What was the white vinegar for?

My hubby loves a similar preparation, but his family tends to put a dollop of bacon grease in the pan when being sauteed.

Lydee July 25, 2009 at 8:17 PM  

i added a splash of rice vinegar to add flavor (since i didn't have cheese).

nurmisur July 25, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

Cooking AND taking pictures. You're my hero :)

Yarnhog July 26, 2009 at 7:57 PM  

It looks delicious to me, but I can't even get the tortoise to eat kale, so my chances of getting the kids to eat it look pretty slim.

Jennifer July 27, 2009 at 1:53 PM  

You are SO the Pioneer Woman! I haven't ever had kale...I might give it a try now!

Rambling Rachel August 1, 2009 at 11:15 PM  

Never knew you needed to take out the spines. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the pics.

Lydee August 2, 2009 at 7:08 PM  

jennifer, lol! except for the whole cutting my fingers part!

Miss T August 3, 2009 at 4:04 PM  

I love kale. I just tear the leaves off the ribs while I'm washing it.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP