Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Wicked Wednesday

My friend Gina (who has so graciously allowed me to invade her home for the next two weeks) is quite frustrated that no one will play the "wicked hard" recorder music in an ensemble with her. Perhaps, Sophanne you could come up and be her recorder buddy. She's dying to use her bass.

I'm in the "wicked easy" recorder group. However I am playing the tenor recorder (it's gina's, she has one of every flavor), so two toots for me! I'm not a completely incredible sissy.


So sorry I haven't posted earlier today. Not functioning this morning because I was up late writing melodies in modes. Bless your heart if you haven't heard of modes. I wish I hadn't heard of them either. They're running through my head, day and night, making wrong notes sound right, and if you're hearing this in a recitative you understand why I can't sleep!
Because of the music in my head! In my bed!
Heaven help me I just can't quit composing,
Somebody needs to turn me off.

The weird things are starting in class. Today I noticed the beginnings of irritation and frustraton. It will grow and eventually resolve itself. We hope so anyway, we really are a nice fun-loving bunch. Alas, strange atmospheric twinges surround teachers who work together 8 hours a day for 10 days in a row with stretched-to-the-max creativity and tired bodies.

By the way, I'm eating well up here. Java's coffe/sandwich shop is an incredible treat with funky service to match. I can't help leaving them a tip! hey, they remember me, what more do I want? I did discover that I get really strange after a double shot of expresso-latte. Two toots! Ha ha!

4 comments:

Anonymous July 19, 2007 at 9:51 AM  

Never heard of a mode!
Glad to hear the snacks are tasty, it's never good when food is lousy.

sophanne July 19, 2007 at 12:15 PM  

Not just 10 hours a day stretched to the max but also 10 hours a day with people who are most accustomed to taking charge and being the musical leader. I think I've finally hit the point in my music teaching career that I am not jealous of not being there!

I ALWAYS felt the same as Gina re: wicked hard recorder playing. I gave up the dream. Even when you finally do meet someone who wants that, they are all about how fast and loud they can play as opposed to how musically they can play. Maybe she and I should meet some day in a clandestine spot somewhere between Waynesburg and Rochester.

Pgh has a "recorder guild" that I never looked into. Maybe Rochester has one too. I figured if I wanted to play badly enough I would have done that.

sophanne July 22, 2007 at 2:21 PM  

i used to have patience for that teacher craziness-thinking that my calm and gentle spirit would be the model for everyone to calm down and speak kindly to one another and also realize that my idea was the best one (just kidding on the last part)

Another dream given up. Now when it happens at the conferences, i don't get mad internally, I don't try to fix it, instead I consider it another chance to observe human behavior in a control group.

...Sarah July 23, 2007 at 11:02 PM  

I have only heard of modes because of a music teacher friend of mine.

It is great to go to a place where staff know who you are.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP