Monday, August 6, 2007

Beach Houses and...you know...bugs

Last year we stayed in an condo. After washing the throws on the couch (because they smelled strongly of someone elses body) and have a neighbor's whirlpool flooding our bathroom, I insisted this year on a clean looking, newer house to rent at the beach. So we are in a beautiful house, not huge, but very nice, new and tastefully furnished (if you can believe it, no seashell lamps and cane furniture).

So what so I see skitter across the kitchen floor? My Favorite Phobia, The Roach. Oh my freaking gosh! After the dust settled, hubbie saw this memo on the fridge. I quote verbatium with my own comments added inside [brackets]:

And now to everyone's least favorite topic...bugs (yuck!)

There is a chance you may see a Waterbug also called Palmetto Bug in your home or condo. [how funny, cute names for cockroaches, nothing like denial] These "outdoor" insects live in the moist ground cover, mulch, underneath decks, lumber, etc. There are three reasons they may be seen inside.

During mating season, the female emits a light, so the males see the lights on in a home/condo and think it's their mate. [translation, turn the lights off and you won't see them skittering across your countertops]
Seeking water and moisture [translation, I think they meant to say water and food, but thought better of it]
Seeking shelter from excessive rainfall

Once inside, these insects will die within days because they cannot live long outside their natural habit. [here's the link that talks about roaches surviving a nuclear blast]
So, if you see one of these "Southern residents", keep in mind that they cannot be eradicated [translation, it's not our problem]
However, if you think the whole family has moved in, we'll be happy to send an exterminator to help "control" the uninvited guests! [if you're threatening to sue, we'll try to do something]

End of memo.

8 comments:

Mayflower August 6, 2007 at 11:44 AM  

LOL! I could always be on a the lookout for a pet one! Miss you!Have a great week.

Mayflower August 6, 2007 at 12:14 PM  

After leaving this comment I have found an investation of ants in my kitchen! They are coming through the dishwasher. GROSS. I've emptied the dishwasher and I'm trying to not be upset. Everytime I open it, though, they are ALL over the inside. Must stay away from opening. Waiting hubbie to get home. Meanwhile, you will find me sitting in front of my dishwasher smashing ants. Much better than "Palmetto Bugs" a/k/a "American Cockroaches".

Lydee August 6, 2007 at 12:32 PM  

Auugh, that's terrible! Hope hubbie gets home soon!

Olga August 6, 2007 at 1:02 PM  

Thats weird that they had to post a note! Makes me wonder how bad the promblem is. Don't walk on the floor in the dark!

Yarnhog August 6, 2007 at 2:29 PM  

"Palmetto Bug" my a**! A roach is a roach and no cute little name is going to change it. The only time I ever saw one in my house (it was dead, by the back door, and I think one of the dogs tracked it in from outside), I was on the phone to the exterminator in minutes and had them out in an hour. There is no such thing as overreacting to a roach.

Haley August 6, 2007 at 8:12 PM  

We had a few roaches in our house on Oak Island three or four years ago (a particularly wet summer), but normally we don't have any problems down there. We usually stay on West Beach Dr somewhere in the 500s. Anyway, I do remember that they were really bad that one year in general. My cousin actually left the beach early because the bugs were so bad at her house that year. Hope you don't see too much more skittering.

...Sarah August 8, 2007 at 2:52 PM  

You are much braver than I. I am a total urban princess though so when I worked in a restaurant I didn't realize the annoying, fast little bugs running along the edge of the desk and the wall were baby roaches! Everyone was shocked I didn't know. Then in a nice, New Orleans restaurant a few years later one came down the wall, and my husband swiped it in a napkin before I saw it. But everyone knows when they won't tell you what it is, it is probably what you fear most—a roach. Anyway, you can tell I am thoroughly traumatized for you. Hang in there!

Web Analytics Beginner August 19, 2007 at 7:23 PM  

I certainly hope the roach (romanticized Palmetto) bug research was something you found on the net and NOT in the lovingly prepared brochure from the condo. I am impressed that you found lodging without the cane furniture--as if going to the ocean for vacation means comfy couches aren't wanted anymore.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP