Wednesday, August 29, 2007

An Imperfect Fit

So I'm putting hubbie's clean clothes away, and I run out of hangers. Instead of looking for a hanger to hang up his last shirt, I grumble, roll it up into a ball and stuff it into the closet somewhere. And then it struck me, a perfect analogy for an imperfect fit.

My moral is low. My first week of work in a poor state and poor county. I'm a music teacher so I'm an "in the way" necessity. A necessity because, hey I"m just a planning period. "In the way" because, they have to provide a place somewhere for me to teach. Unlike other states, many music and art and PE teachers don't have their own room to teach in. And so, I'm "stuffed" somewhere. Hey, it doesn't matter if it's not the same room everyday. It doesn't matter if I have an 18 piece Xylophone (Orff) ensemble to move everyday.

It doesnt' matter that I spent thousands of my own dollars taking Orff Schulwerk classes in NY to become a better music teacher. It dosn't matter that I'm certified in Music, but I"m going to be teaching Reading classes. At least I'm "put away" somewhere for the day.

An Imperfect Fit.

What Am I Doing Here?

5 comments:

sophanne August 29, 2007 at 7:00 AM  

oh yes, my friend, I know the feeling of the tag in that shirt working at the back of my neck. Hang in there.

Lydee August 29, 2007 at 9:01 AM  

Thanks, at least I found another secret place to get on line : ). It helps keep my perspective.

Olga August 29, 2007 at 10:18 AM  

Gee, what a rotton shame! we need these beautiful things in our life. I feel for yah, sistah.

...Sarah August 29, 2007 at 1:22 PM  

Disney should sponsor art and music education. After all haven't they capitalized on that "secret" for the Baby Einstein craze? If it weren't for art and music in my education history I wouldn't have made it through to a post graduate Graphic Design diploma (I went to university and majored in visual art before heading to college to specialize in graphic design). I am grateful for those teachers who struggle teaching these classes that expand children's minds and enrich their lives.

Keep up the good work, there are more kids like I was out there that need you!

Haley August 29, 2007 at 11:14 PM  

this is why so many teachers don't stick with it. i can only imagine how frustrating this must be for you. i'm glad you've found an outlet to keep you sane. keep up the happy teaching. hopefully the students will counteract the frustration of the rest of the situation. by the way, thanks for all of your kind comments on my blog. they are all much appreciated. you are a truly giving person and your students are lucky to have you.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP