Thursday, August 30, 2007

Tiny Sucesses

Thank you everyone for all of your kind comments and encouragement. It helps, a lot.

My outlook is brighter. My situation hasn't really changed, but the students have been better than I hoped for. They've been so kind, offering to help me move instruments, and I've received lots of hugs. I love those hugs. We're not technically allowed to hug the students, but they can hug us.

It's nice that the students and I are starting together, as opposed to last year I started in the middle of the school year. They were already set in their ways (and those ways were not good). Now, we can set up our expectations together.

Finally, my tiny sucess: my holdout class from last year-I had no idea what I was going to do with them for the Spring program because they were used to sitting on their bottoms for music class with their old teacher. And by gosh they weren't changing for me! Yesterday was our second day of music together this year, and we MADE MUSIC! The first time they realized it, there was kind of a shocked silence and then excitement that went over the room. I was just as surprised as them, but I thought, "see, all you guys had to do was trust me."

Thankgoodness for tiny sucesses.

7 comments:

sophanne August 30, 2007 at 12:48 PM  

So glad for your "tiny" (I think they're not so tiny) successes.

In my first years of full-time general music teaching, I was happy to have those kind of successes once a week at best.

It's taken 21 years of trying, keeping and tossing plans to make it so that I usually can count on maybe one a day.

And- I wasn't a full-time mom to add to the struggle.

Celebrate the wins, learn from and then forget about the losses, grasshoppah-

I'm such a goof

Lydee August 30, 2007 at 12:58 PM  

You're a goof? I just left a goofy nonsensical comment on your blog!

Thanks, I"m glad to hear that.

Yarnhog August 30, 2007 at 3:16 PM  

Good for you! It's always a little miracle to get through to a kid.

sophanne August 30, 2007 at 5:55 PM  

yea-it was so non-sensical that I posted it as my new favorite quote on my sidebar!

I'm so happy you're a part of this blog-world!

Olga August 31, 2007 at 9:34 AM  

Maybe we ought to start calling it BOG world!
Glad you had a good day- fuel to keep going!

...Sarah September 2, 2007 at 11:03 PM  

Starts as a trickle but I bet this is the first of many breakthroughs.

Haley September 4, 2007 at 2:28 PM  

Yay for little successes!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP