Friday, August 17, 2007

Holdout, maybe no more?

Okay, you all may have done it. I'm tired of living vicariously through you all. I want the real thing.

Looking at a year ahead full of meetings, coupled with sharing my room with the art teacher, and no internet (because, really, why does a music teacher need internet access- do you hear the sarcasam in my words?), and I am seriously considering taking up knitting.

Knitting or crocheting, which do you recommend? This is for my sanity only. Although I like hats, scarves, and socks, and would get a kick out of wearing my own.

I've been a holdout for so long. I grew up with a family that spins, knits and weaves. I own all sorts of angora mittens, wool socks, and woven scarves (my fave? the pink mohair one, also love that white angora/wool head wrap my mom wove.) No mom, I'm not buying your loom yet.

*****
On the home front, Bibi is feeling better, thankgoodness. She slept all night without any coughing fits. Thank you for all of your best wishes for her.

9 comments:

sophanne August 17, 2007 at 11:22 AM  

Yippee!

I crochet and knit. I taught myself both (mostly) with a book. I knit more because I like the way knitted (as opposed to crocheted) garments look. Maybe look up some pictures and see which you like the look of better.

It used to be that the patterns for crochet weren't as "hip" as the knitted ones but as I look around, I think that's definitely changing.

Your brain is like mine. Nothing is as hard as other people make it seem.

sophanne August 17, 2007 at 11:23 AM  

ps now I won't be alone at staff development!

Olga August 17, 2007 at 11:50 AM  

Whaaaat?! You mean you aren't a knitter???? What am I doing reading your blog! ARGGH! I've been deceived!Just kidden! I'm a knitter ,( I sewed too! But thats gone by the roadside.) I like knitting better than crochet because I don't know how to crochet. But don't knit socks to save money, cause you won't.

dawn August 17, 2007 at 12:15 PM  

I can knit or crochet but since I learned to knit I haven't crocheted at all. There are many more options with knitting. there are a gillion more patterns and there are more creative options such as cabling, intarsia, fair isle, and double knitting. Knitting is also easier to correct.

Yarnhog August 17, 2007 at 12:53 PM  

I learned to crochet as a kid, but gave it up the instant I learned to knit as a teenager. Knitting is a lot more versatile, although a bit more complicated to learn, in my opinion. Also, knitting uses a lot less yarn than crochet to make the same amount of fabric (which is important when your monthly yarn expenditures begin to exceed your monthly food expenditures).

Anonymous August 17, 2007 at 5:29 PM  

Well of course you should take up knitting!! It is shocking that you haven't already, really.
I have no clue how to crochet so I am totally bias.
Knit on

Anonymous August 17, 2007 at 6:47 PM  

If your choosing between knitting or crocheting, knit. If you want to have a real blast, weave.

...Sarah August 17, 2007 at 10:24 PM  

I think you should find a project you love that isn't too difficult, but is a little challenging and just dive in. I think you will love the thrill of shooting a hat (or whatever) out of your needles.

Haley August 19, 2007 at 2:50 PM  

i love knitting and would be thrilled to see how you like it. you're such a creative person, i'm sure you will create beautiful knitted goodies.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Hmm, seems somewhat redundant. I'm a mom of 2 lovely ladies. I'm the wife of a triathlete machine. I'm a general music teacher in a public school. I like to take pictures of things, especially things i consider beautiful. I like to share. As long as it isn't food. Enjoy!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP